Thursday, September 28
Tuesday, October 3
The Earth as Koan
- Susan Murphy, “A Medicine Bundle of Koans,” Minding the Earth, Mending the World: Zen and the Art of Planetary Crisis (Berkeley: Counterpoint, 2014), pp. 239-297. (click for pdf)
Read the entire “Medicine Bundle” and then choose one particular koan for your focus. The introductory section of the reading offers several ideas for how to “meditate” upon a koan. Come to class ready to discuss your understanding of, and experience with, your koan.
Thursday, October 5
Crisis at Home
- David R. Loy, “The Suffering of Self,” Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2008), pp. 15-23. (click for pdf)
- David R. Loy and John Stanley, “The Buddhadharma and the Planetary Crisis, in A Buddhist Response to the Climate Emergency ed. by John Stanley et al. (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2009), pp. 3-13. (click for pdf)
- Watch the film Safe (1995), directed by Todd Haynes Nolan. Follow this ~link~ to watch the film online. Unfortunately, the Safe is not available through Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, or other web-streaming service. To watch Safe by following this link, you will have to sign up for a 7-day free trial with Sundance Now. Of course, after watching the film you can cancel the trial. I apologize for the inconvenience. The film is also available on reserve at Geisel Library if you do not wish to view it online.
Duḥkha and the Cause of Duḥkha
Tuesday, October 10
Basic Buddhism #1
- Damien Keown, Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction, pages 17-60.
Thursday, October 12
Basic Buddhism #2
- Damien Keown, Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction, pages 61-75, 96-127.
Tuesday, October 17
Towards a Buddhist Perspective
- A Buddhist History of the West, pp. 1-40.
Thursday, October 19
Losing Ourselves in Ourselves
- A Buddhist History of the West, pp. 41-86.
Tuesday, October 24
Harmonizing Means and Ends
- A Buddhist History of the West, pp. 171-215.
Thursday, October 26
Tuesday, October 31
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring
- Watch the film Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring (2003), directed by Ki-duk Kim. You can rent and watch the movie from either amazon instant video or google play. I do not know whether it is available through Netflix, Hulu, or another source.
Course Experiment #1 is due
Thursday, November 2
The Essence at the Origin?
- Ian Harris, “Buddhism and the Discourse of Environmental Concern: Some Methodological Problems Considered,” in Mary Evelyn Tucker and Duncan Ryuken Williams, eds., Buddhism and Ecology: The Interconnection of Deeds and Dharma (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1997), pp. 377-402. (click for pdf)
Tuesday, November 7
Early Buddhist Tradition and Ecological Ethics: A Second View
- Lambert Schmithausen, “The Early Buddhist Tradition and Ecological Ethics,” Journal of Buddhist Ethics vol. 4 (1997), pp. 1-74, focus on pages 3-34. (click for pdf)
Thursday, November 9
Reverence for Life
- Stephanie Kaza and Kenneth Kraft, eds., Dharma Rain: Sources of Buddhist Environmentalism (Boston: Shambhala, 2000), pp. 10-42. (click for pdf)
- Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli and Bikkhu Bodhi, trans., “Jīvaka Sutta,” The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A New Translation of the Majjhima Nikāya (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 1995), pp. 474-476. (click for pdf)
- Red Pine, trans., The Lankavatara Sutra (Berkeley: Counterpoint, 2012), pp. 262-267. (click for pdf)
Tuesday, November 14
The Nature of Nature
- Dharma Rain, pp. 43-57. (click for pdf)
- Dharma Rain, pp. 58-78. (click for pdf)
Buddhist Ecologies Today
Thursday, November 16
Towards a Buddhist Wildness #1
- Gary Snyder, The Practice of the Wild (Washington, D.C.: Counterpoint, 1996), pp. 3-51, 84-103.
Tuesday, November 21
Course Experiment #2 is due. Please email your paper to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, November 23
Tuesday, November 28
Towards a Buddhist Wildness #2
- The Practice of the Wild, pp. 104-123, 154-165.
Thursday, November 30
Harvesting Wisdom from the Past
- Joanna Macy, World as Lover, World as Self (Berkeley: Parallax Press, 2007), pp. 11-72.
Tuesday, December 5
Cultivating the Present
- World as Lover, World as Self, pp. 73-135.
Thursday, December 7
Sowing Seeds for the Future
- World as Lover, World as Self, pp. 137-202.
Monday, December 11
Course Experiment #3 is due